- Corporate Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Business Franchising
- Free Zone Law
LatinLawyer Deal of the Year Award for the purchase of McDonald’s by Arcos Dorados
“Leading light for Pro-Bono work (…) Virginia is Head of Pro-Bono activity” Latin Lawyer 2019
Virginia was lead counsel in 2018 in the negotiation of a multi-million dollar sponsorship deal between Gatorade and Conmebol for the sponsorship of the continental club championship Copa Conmebol Libertadores.
Among her most recent experience which is worthy of mention is advice given in 2018 to Mondelez International in its M&A with Cadbury and actively participated in the acquisition of ABN AMRO Bank N.V. by Banco Santander, the largest private bank of Uruguay.
She was also heavily involved in the defense of international companies in anti-trust lawsuits before the Commission for the Protection and Defense of Competition.
As part of her Pro-Bono activity, she provides counsel and is also member of the Board of Directors of Ronald McDonald’s Uruguay House Charities since it was established in 2011. She previously served as Board Member of Endeavor Uruguay from 2008 to 2012. She has appeared in the annual publication “Doing Business in Uruguay”, published by the World Bank, since 2011.
Member of the “Advancement of Women Lawyers in the Legal Profession” initiative of the Cyrus Vance Center for International Justice of New York, and in that capacity has moderated various conferences for women lawyers in different countries in the Americas and was recently appointed to the organization’s Steering Committee.
- University of the Republic, Uruguay – Attorney at Law (1994)
- University of Montevideo, Uruguay – Master’s Degree in Corporate Law (2000)
- Austral University, Argentina – IAE Business School – Directorate of Legal Services (2001)
- University of Montevideo, Uruguay – Institute of Business Studies – Executive MBA (in progress)
- Cranfield University School of Management, England – Business School – Business Innovation & Leadership MBA (2019)
- 2018 – Main counsel in Gatorade’s sponsorship negotiation with Conmebol for the Copa Conmebol Libertadores, a multi-million dollar project involving multiple jurisdictions.
- 2018 – Lead counsel in the M&A of Mondelez and Cadbury, two prominent multinational companies in the food industry.
- 2017 – Led an interdisciplinary team in an international case involving multiple jurisdictions representing clients before the Uruguayan Internal Revenue Service, achieving a successful result and leading case in taxation jurisprudence.
- 2017 – Advised Arcos Dorados, McDonald’s largest independent franchise, in the restaurant’s incorporation to the first shopping mall of Las Piedras, Canelones. It is the twenty-ninth restaurant in Uruguay, making Arcos Dorados the undisputed leader of the Uruguayan fast food industry.
- 2016 – Represented Mondelez in a case before the Commission for the Protection and Defense of Competition, at the request of a competitor. A favorable result was obtained, proving the absence of anti-competitive practices by Mondelez.
- 2016 – Directed the team that advised Arcos del Sur S.R.L. in the financing of millions of dollars loaned to its Brazilian subsidiary by 5 intermediary financial institutions: Citibank N.A., Bank of America N.A., Itaú BBA International PLC, JPMorgan Chase Bank N.A. and Banco Santander (Brazil) S.A., Cayman Islands branch. The matter demanded an important degree of multi-jurisdiction synchronization between companies and advisers in Brazil, New York, the Virgin Islands and Uruguay.
- 2015 – Led the negotiation and drafting of the legal documents required for the expansion of the secondary school building of the Uruguayan American School complying with the latest technological standards.
- 2015 – Directed the team that advised Arcos Dorados in the bidding held by the Government of Montevideo of the “El Yacht” building complex in the promenade of the Parque Rodó neighborhood. Arcos Dorados, that recently commemorated its 25th anniversary in Uruguay (counselled by our firm for the whole period) won the bidding with an offering that consisted of not only the restaurant itself but the restoration of the whole complex (13000 sq. ft.), which was built in 1930. This restaurant, apart from adding value to an important area of Montevideo, created 150 jobs and meant an investment of over one million dollars.
- A Yellow Light in Uruguayan Free Zone Legislation: Impact of Law 19.566 – Abogados Argentina, 2018
- Free Zones: A Successful System in Danger – El Observador, 2013
- The Legal Franchise: How to Successfully Negotiate a Commercial Franchise – Abogados Argentina, 2012
- The Legal Start-Up of a Company – El Observador, 2011
- Finding Out the Right Way to Acquire a Business – El Observador, 2011
- Insider Trading in Uruguayan Commercial Legislation – Commercial Law Yearbook, 1999